Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 21:25:48 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
Cc:        FREEBSD-CHAT <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MPEG Layer 3 (.mp3) audio files

>     What are people using to encode .mp3 audio files on FreeBSD?  I've
> got tosha, a collection of MPEG encoding utilities and mpg123 for
> playback, but I'm having problems with both creation and playback.  :(

I'm using mpeg_musicin and musicout, part of the mpegaudio utilities
in ports.  To grab the tracks, I use Charles Heinrich's cdd utility
which you can find on various FTP sites (and I have a copy up at
time.cdrom.com in my anon ftp area, but please get that only as a last
resort since that's my home machine and I don't have a T1 :-).

It works great - I'm able to grab, encode and subsequently play
back mpeg audio with no problems.

				Jordan