Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:03:46 -0500
From:      "Charles Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the mail server debate

Leonard Jacobs wrote:
> Are there any benchmarks comparing the various MTAs on FreeBSD?

Plenty.  How meaningful they are is another question.  Anyway, for many common
circumstances, the system is bottlenecked by I/O bandwidth to the disks or via
the network to remote clients, and not by the MTA software being used.

> How do people make their c[h]oices?

My observation has been that most people pay a lot of attention to their
personal preferences.  Whether an individual also pays attention to facts which
might contradict one's opinion is somewhat less common.

Use something that suits your requirements.

> Is it fair to say the comparisons are between: Sendmail, Qmail, Postfix and
Courier?

Sure, if those are the ones you want to consider.  For me, I've never heard or
Courier....so my definition of "fair" would be different.  Have you heard of
zmail, smail, smtpd, or even a product called Communigate Pro?

[ The latter might provide an integrated solution along the lines you've been
asking about and decent tech support, which might be closer to what you want.
No connection, but some people I've worked with had liked their product. ]

> For 3 - 5,000 (or more) users, requiring POP3 & IMAP & web messaging,
> what have people found to be their favorite and most reliable MTA?

I've been running sendmail for ~14 years, with up to 22,000 users in one case;
but someone else can undoubtedly say the same for the other programs.  For
instance, I had a conversation about the utility of multiple queue runners and
so forth (now in sendmail-8.12) who was using postfix to do around 3 million
messages a day...but he didn't want or need some of the features that sendmail
provides.

Something like UWash IMAP or AMS-2/Cyrus + MailMan + squirrelmail would probably
be my route for the non-MTA aspect of your question.  If you want to be
proactive about security, make sure to link with SSL to provide STARTTLS and
secure versions of the IMAP/POP3 protocols.

Perhaps you should also consider your backup situation, hardware details like
amount of disk storage and system capacity growth you plan for, getting
hot-swappable SCSI or fibre-channel disks, things like that....

-Chuck