Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:20:10 -0700
From:      "Brad Tombaugh" <btombau@qwest.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Gordon.Broom@home.com, "Kal Torak" <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, rtoren@bronzedragon.net, gfoster@gfoster.com
Subject:   Re: Problems Making Ports

--------------5368AA1CBC5514256AF49FCB

Thanks to all who responded...  I had cvsup'd the ports tree, but this did not
update everything.  Glen Foster's suggestion to delete the ports tree and cvsup
again did the trick!

Glen Foster wrote:

> Some time last fall the ports tree hierarchy changed eliminating the
> subdirectories "pkg" and "patches" in each port directory.  This was
> announced on the list as a "heads up" at the time and has been covered
> several times since then.  The presence of these directories generates
> the "old layout" message.  Do this:
>
> # cd /usr/ports
> # find . -name CVS | xargs rm -rf
> # find . -name pkg | xargs rm -rf
> # find . -name patches | xargs rm -rf
> # make update
>
> Of course, your /etc/make.conf has to be set correctly for the last to
> work.
>
> Alternatively, delete your entire ports tree and re-cvsup.  This is
> cleaner but will take longer, remove any local changes, and require
> re-fetching distfiles on subsequent port rebuilds.Gord Broom wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Kal Torak wrote:
> > Brad Tombaugh wrote:
> > >
> > > Several people, including me, have posted articles to
> > > comp.unix.bsd.frebsd.misc regarding problems making ports after updating
> > > to RELENG_4 (4.2-STABLE).
> > >
> > > The first symptom that I saw after "making world" was that when I
> > > attempted to "make" or "make install" any of several ports I got an
> > > error:
> > >
> > >      orion# cd /usr/ports/textproc/docproj
> > >      orion# make
> > >      Error: your port uses an old layout.  Please update it to
> > >      match this bsd.port.mk.
> > >
> > > checking /urs/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk shows several instances of this or
> > > similar messages, generally near a declaration for "pre-everything::"
> > >

> > If you had read /usr/src/UPDATING then you would of seen that after
> > an upgrade to 4.2 you are required to cvsup your whole ports tree since
> > changes were made to the base port structure...
> > Reading the UPDATING file properly solves almost all upgrading problems...
> >

> Also, you may have to delete empty directories in each of the individual ports
> (which cvsup left behind, as I've seen CVS do), which confuse both bsd.port.mk
> and users.
>
> I thought I had written down which directories they were, but hunt around in
> bsd.ports.mk for the specific error it gives you, and it'll point you there.  I
> know one of them was 'patches/', I can't remember the second.
>
> Gord.

Brad Tombaugh
mailto:btombau@qwest.net
http://www.users.qwest.net/~btombau

--------------5368AA1CBC5514256AF49FCB

Thanks to all who responded...&nbsp; I had cvsup'd the ports tree, but
this did not update everything.&nbsp; Glen Foster's suggestion to delete
the ports tree and cvsup again did the trick!
eliminating the
was
is

updating