Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Russell D. Murphy" <rdmurphy@vt.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 ethernet cards

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Russell D. Murphy wrote:

> I have an extra ethernet card I would like to place in my office
> machine and use to (sometimes) connect my laptop:
>
>       laptop          desktop
>       ------          -------
>       e-net card ---> e-net card 2
>                       e-net card 1 ---> office net/world
>
> 1.  Is this feasible?

Absolutely!  I have an entire network set up like that.

> 2.  My laptop and desktop machines have IP addresses.  Do I need a new
>     (legitimate) one for the second card, or can I use one of the
>     "private" addresses since no one should need to address card2 from
>     anywhere outside of my office?

I'd suggest creating your own fakenet and run ipfw/natd to alias it to the
outside world, unless your office will let you have your own ip.

> 3.  How do I tell card2 to send what it gets out on card1?

The net route and natd will figure it out.

> 4.  How do I tell card1 to accept stuff addressed to the laptop and
>     forward it along to card2?

Routing.  natd will actually block that traffic unless it's part of an
established connection, at which point it'll do the necessary
translations.

> 5.  Are there any handy scripts for switching between configurations
>     of laptops?

DHCP is your friend.