Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 02:09:20 -0800
From:      Joe Park <joepark@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   help on sound please

Hello,

I finally bought a ensoniq pci audio (es1371 chip) card.  First I set up
a kernel with just this:
######################
device pcm0
######################

With that setting, I got sound.  dmesg gave me this:
######################
es1: <AudioPCI ES1371> rev 0x08 int a irq 3 on pci0.17.0
pcm1: using I/O space register mapping at 0x1480
es1371: codec vendor CRY revision 19
es1371: codec features Bass & Treble Headphone out 20bit DAC 18bit ADC
es1371: stereo enhancement: Crystal Semiconductor 3D Stereo Enhancement
######################

I was not satisfied with sound quality because there were a lot of
static noise.  Just overall sound quality was worse than how it sounded
on evil Window world.  Plus, when I do "mixer", bass and treble was 0
and I couldn't change it.  So I set up a kernel with following setting,
using above informations:
######################
controller pnp0
device pcm0 at isa? port 0x1480 tty irq 3 drq 1 flags 0x17 vector
pcmintr
######################

After that, it worked just the same.  I did "sh /dev/MAKEDEV snd0" but I
don't see snd0 in /dev.(Do I need to do this every time I restart?  Do I
even need to do this?  I mean it worked before I executed that
command...I'm guessing it's needed for mixer functions)  When I did
"mixer", it says "mixer: /dev/mixer: Device not configured"  I remember
dmesg gave me identical messages as above.

And that was yesterday.  Today, it appears that my roommate just pressed
reset button while I was gone.  (I see that my drive was not unmounted
properly)  When I reboot, the sound worked for a while.  While I was
playing MP3, I did "sh /dev/MAKEDEV snd0" as root.  (in attempt to bring
mixer to work)  A bit later, sound just stopped.  dmesg gave me rows
after rows of
"pcm0: unit not configured, perhaps you want pcm1 ? "
And for some wield reason, my custom prompt stop working.  Instead of
useful info like current directory, time, etc, my prompt now gives me
this :
\n***** \! *** <\u@\h> *** $(dirs) *****\n\t \$

I configured prompt at .profile file (I'm using bash)

I rebuilt kernel again, thinking that it will fix the problem, but gave
me same result.  The initial dmesg while it was booting gave me correct
messages regarding sound card (same as above).  But I can't play any
sound.  Can anyone help me?  I think I probably can get my sound back
after tweaking around a bit but I still can't figure out how to improve
sound quality.  Any comments from people who has Ensoniq AudioPCI are
appreciated. (Is yours sound ok?)  Does anyone know what exactly
happened here?  I mean, why my prompt all of sudden stop working?  My
other FreeBSD box with exact same .profile works.

I'm using bash and FreeBSD is 3.4-stable.  Sorry for long messages and
thank you for help.

Joe