Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2011 14:52:56 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] GNU make 3.82

On Mar 10, 2011, at 14:21 , Doug Barton wrote:
> What I'm suggesting is that the URL for the logs of that run get =
posted here, along with contacting the maintainers of the affected =
ports. Then let's see what people have to say about getting them fixed =
sooner rather than later. Can you explain why doing that would be a bad =
idea?

Those 50 or so ports are not the complete picture.  Some of them are =
preventing other ports from being built.  So, we cycle through an -exp =
run adding USE_GMAKE=3D381 (it's not a library or anything, just an =
executable, and in the context of clean building, only one or the other =
will exist for a specific port -exp build, so there's no question of =
interaction) until we have _all_ of the affected ports.

Then the list gets posted somewhere, USE_GMAKE=3D381 goes active, then =
there's a period (6-7 months) for folks to clean things up, at which =
point USE_GMAKE=3D381 does exactly the same as USE_GMAKE=3Dyes (use =
gmake-3.82) -- ports that get fixed after this date simply change =
USE_GMAKE=3D381 -> USE_GMAKE=3Dyes (cosmetic change only), and a list of =
known-broken ports can still be determined by grepping for =
'USE_GMAKE=3D381'.  If updates to those ports fix them, change USE_GMAKE =
back to 'yes'.

> I admire your optimism, however experience tells us that once these =
types of accomodations get into the tree, they stay there for a long =
time.

There is no issue of optimism about it.  gmake-3.82 _will_ be the sole =
version of GNU make in the tree by (at latest) the end of this year.

-aDe