Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2014 16:26:47 -0500
From:      Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?

On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 08:47:58AM -0800, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am familiar with the gentoo "portage" system but I am unfamiliar
> with the freebsd system.  I prefer to compile ports.
>
> While I am familiar with "make install", I do not know how to upgrade
> all the ports I previously installed (equivalent to gentoo's "emerge
> -Dauv world").  Section 5.5.3.1 of the handbook says that I should use
> portmaster.  When I install portmaster I get a friendly reminder:
>
> "If you want to switch to the new pkg(8) format, and have not already
> done so, there are some extra 1-time steps to take"
>
> Can you guys help me answer these questions:
>
> 1. Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?

It probably depends the most on how many boxes you manage and how many
ports you build with non-default configuration options. For me
managing more than five boxes with ports alone is a big chore and a
management headache. Honestly, if you aren't tweaking a bunch of ports
then pkg* is the way to go but, as a former ports user, and a current
poudriere user, I believe that it's up to you to determine how you
want to spend your time.

TL;DR pkgng seriously improves over pkg_* in the area of
upgrading. And once you've grown to the point where you need it, the
combination of pkgng and poudriere is wonderful. Pkgng looks like work
is being done in the area of multiple repositories which I think it
needs. Pkgng integrates very well with puppet. In my world, I maintain
a poudriere repository to hold the tweaked ports that I run. I use
puppet to determine what's installed on what machines and how it's
configured, and I use Git to manage changes in the whole ball. By way
of example I have a poudriere machine that holds two repo's each repo
takes about 2.5 hours to rebuild ~420 from scratch. Once that's done
updating a box in the field is two pkg commands.

Of the 420 ports that I build, 91 are requested and no more than 15 of
them are tweaked in the "make config" step. I haven't found a way to
to configure pkgng to look at "repo local-A" before looking at "repo
FreeBSD-global" so I pretty much build everything that I use in house.

> 2. If yes, have I already done so?

I'm not sure on this. I'm running FreeBSD-9 right now with a plan to
move to -10 this coming Spring. I don't know for sure if FreeBSD-10 or
FreeBSD-11 comes with pkgng built in.