Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 17:29:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GUS Q:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>

> > I assume that here are some GUS users who can answer to me
> > the following question:
> >
> > When testing my GUS card under DOS (plain GUS, classic I believe)
> > there is this setup program which does the DMA/IRQ testing - poor
> > man's plug an play :-).
> >
> > The tests work OK with the exception for the NMI test. that one
> > failed.
> >
> > What is the NMI? Is it 15?
>
> NMI stands for 'non-masked interrupt' and is used for doing audio under

non-maskable interrupt. I know that from 6502 and 8080 (or was that Z80?)
Anyway, just wanted to know if this is - and it seems so - an extra 'wired'
interrupt. Enabling the NMI/Parity jumper leads to
and immediate BIOS halt from Win95 when the card is accessed.
OK, I don't want you to burden with Win95 problems. Just in case someon
stumbled accross this before.

> protected-mode drivers in DOS (I think).  If audio works in DOOM you can
> ignore this.

Not everyone is in the lucky position to have a DOOM for DOS handy to
do hardware testing :-)