Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:12:21 -0800
From:      brian@worldcontrol.com
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   USB, scanners, and SANE?

I've been poking around the USB website and seperatedly
noted the addition of support for USB under -current.

Reading the www.usb.org site I mostly got the sense of Plug&Pray.
Basically, plug it in, don't worry be happy.

My wife as a HP Scanjet 4100CXI on her PC running [censored].

I'd like to take a stab at getting it to work under FreeBSD.
I'm not above writing code.

SANE has support for HP scanners of both SCSI and parallel port
versions.

Via the existing FreeBSD USB support will it be possible for me
to create a communication channel for the SANE backend to talk
to the scanner?

HIDs and Classes (was it?) have me worried that I have to wait
for particular support for scanner class devices.  But on the
other hand, maybe this is not that case, and perhaps I can use
some generic interface to access the scanner.

Any pointers or clarification on the FreeBSD USB interface
would be appreciated.

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>