Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:29:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        funmol@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: FW: ASUS P5KPL-AM motherboard on-board sound laggs

C. G. <funmol@hotmail.com> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Please install the "xvinfo" tool from ports or packages.
 > > It displays the status of the XVideo extension.
 >
 > Here is the output of the "xvinfo" command as you requested :
 >
 > [root@PC-BSD] ~# xvinfo
 > xvinfo:  Unable to open display

That output isn't useful, I'm afraid.  I guess you ran the
command from a text mode console, or from an ssh session
(without X redirection), or with a user not authorized to
connect to the X server.  In that case no X11 programs work,
of course, and you will always get the above error message.

You have to make sure that the DISPLAY environment variable
is set correctly (usually ":0", but it may be different).
If you open a shell inside a terminal window (e.g. xterm or
rxvt), $DISPLAY should already be correct, so please run
the xvinfo command again inside a terminal window.  If that
still produces the same error message as above, try this:

sh -c 'DISPLAY=:0 xvinfo'

Best regards
   Oliver

"Above all, they contribute to the genetic diversity in the
operating system pool.  Which is a good thing."
  -- Ruben van Staveren, on the question which BSD OS is the best one.