Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 17:21:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Ian O'Friel" <Genius@glasgow.crosswinds.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X Windows loses path variable

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Ian O'Friel wrote:

>Whenever I start X-Windows it loses the path variable and any commands like
>'ls' have to be entered as /bin/ls or I have to create new aliases whenever
>I start it up, is there any way to make sure the path statement is actually
>used. When I use the 'set' command on it's own it display's the enviroment
>including the path command, how strange, any help ??

Which shell do you use?

There are two invocations of shells. There are login shells and there are
non-login shells. There are different rc files for different invocations.

For example: bash uses
- .bash_profile for login shells.
- .bashrc for non-loging shells.

An xterm is _not_ a login shells unless you deliberately make it one.

You should read "man (yourshell)" to find out specifics.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/