Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 23:21:20 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Weirdness with routing to freefall.

>Well, I don't know that I have too much to add to this discussion,
>although a traceroute to freefall was mildly amusing.
>
>I go from Oregon to Seattle, out to DC (all onSprint).  Then jump on
>mae-e, Then jump on ANS, work my way back across the south, through ANS
>and a few other sites, back to SanFrancisco, then jump onto CRL, and
>finally to freefall.
>
>A total of 25 hops.  All the way across the country and back, To go 300
>miles.

   This isn't supposed to happen. Ever since ANS brought up their new
backbone, they've been leaking routes at the major peering sites. In this
case, they're leaking CRL routes at MAE-east and Sprint is using them to
get the traffic through rather than the "direct" route through the CIX (most
likely because of the route dampening at Sprint-Stockton).
   This was supposed to have been fixed. I already spent nearly an hour on
the phone a couple of weeks ago with the ANS people about this problem.

-DG

David Greenman