Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 22:18:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        roguetr@patho.gen.nz (Sarton O'Brien)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Basic routing problem

Sarton O'Brien wrote,
> I am on a network that is connected to a router that has a direct line to a
> switch at an isp with no dhcp service. I have specified the default gateway
> using route add, and can ping the dns server. I can even ping my mates
> computer on an entirely different network but I cant telntet/ftp/browse etc.

If you can ping, you should be able to telnet or ftp... but I'm not
sure what "browsing" might be. How do telnet or ftp fail?

> I am relatively new to networking, so a hint as to what other processes I
> should be applying, or anything would be great :)

Hard to say what would be wrong, but it does not really sound like
routing if you can ping a computer that is not local. You need to be
more specific about what you are trying to do and what is not
working...

But my first guess might be that you are trying to tell us your DNS is
not working? Can you ping with IP addresses but can't use hostnames
(you know you can ftp using the IP address as the argument too)?