Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 19:24:02 -0500
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>, "Withrow,     Robert (W.) [BAY:BL60:430]" <bwithrow@BayNetworks.COM>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, bwithrow@engeast.BayNetworks.COM
Subject:   Re: gmake 3.78.1 port fails to install on 3.2

andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM said:
:- Do you know what the upgrade kits are used for?

Well, I thought I did.  Why don't you explain to me what *you* think
they are for, and we'll see if we agree.  ;-)

To re-cap, my understanding comes directly from the ports web page, where
it says:

   "Please install one of the following depending on the release
   you are running. [...] That should enable you to use all the
   ports listed here."

I did exactly that:  I determined I was running 3.2-RELEASE, so I
installed the "3.2 to 3-stable upgrade kit" and feeling very "enabled",
attempted to use one of the ports listed there, and encountered the
aforementioned problem.

The above seems like pretty straight-forward English, but perhaps there
is a subtlety there about which you can enlighten me.

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 288 8256)
BWithrow@BayNetworks.com