Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 00:08:56 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        thompson@squirrel.tgsoft.com (mark thompson)
Subject:   Re: Code maintenance

As mark thompson wrote:

>    > Yes, see the ft(4) and aic(4) drivers for two good examples.  Both
>    > sorely lack a maintainer, and nobody seems to be interested in doing
>    > this job.
>
> Hmmm.... i have volunteered before to maintain ft, since tapes are kind

Hmm, i can't muchly remember your name, nor having seen any offer to
maintain ft(4).  If you're serious about this, go ahead!

> of a (twisted) specialty of mine. My only request is that someone donate
> the drives to test on, since i don't use QIC format any more.

Chuck Robey once contributed his old Colorado tape to the project,
which is currently sitting in my scratchbox.  I happily send it to
you, but please understand that i'd like to see some sort of, well not
quite `guarantee', but at least promise, that you're serious about
this.  Remember, there have been three maintainers of this code before
who all went off-ship since.

This is an old Colorado QIC-40 drive.  I've also got a supposedly
broken QIC-80 one, but i'm totally uncertain about its status.

> My offer to help kind of got blown off.

By whom?  Certainly not by me.  Nor can i remember that you ever wrote
a mail to the core team applying for this job, at least not during the
time i've been a member of that team (which must go into its 2nd
anniversary anytime soon).

--
cheers, J"org