Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:45:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dale Chulhan - Work <dchulhan@uwi.tt>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, chris@ritc.co.uk, Cliff Rowley <cliff@olive.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Memory detection problems

On 21-Sep-00 Dale Chulhan - Work wrote:
>> I had exactly the same thing a few months back.  I replaced my RAM and
>> I've never seen it since.
> its quite an interesting problem ... could any one give a techie explanation
> to it?

Your BIOS checks your memory during boot by reading and writing to
all of it.  As soon as it hits an error, it stops, and sets the
available memory up to the point that you had the error.  We ask
the BIOS how much memory is in the machine, and voila.  The original
poster's memory is almost certainly bad and should be replaced ASAP.