Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:28:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      N <niels@bakker.net>
To:        ryanm <ryanm@accn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resetting a Portmaster

This isn't on-topic for freebsd-isp.  Please RTFM at www.livingston.com
the next time you have trouble with their hardware.

Quoth ryanm: (as a bonus, with normal line wrapping)

> Does anyone know how I can reset a portmaster 2E?? Our admin left w/o
> relaying the password to the ppl underneath him and cannot be reached.
> If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks for any info.

Either follow the tricks outlined by other posters, but if you're in a
kind of hurry and have a RADIUS server set up, add the following to
/etc/raddb/users:

plinkroot	Password = "fnord"
	Service-Type = Administrative-User

If you have a newer dictionary, s/-User$//.

Send a SIGHUP to radiusd to make it re-read the users file, telnet to the
PortMaster and login with user `plinkroot'.

I think you can send my bill to the absent admin. :-)

	-- Niels.