Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 11:04:44 +0930
From:      Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ttys entry for palm pilot as dumb terminal

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 03:34:06PM -0400, Brian Reichert wrote:

 > Anyway, the suggested entry in /etc/ttys:
 >   ttyd0  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on secure
 > does not work for me at all, yet if I do this intead:
 >   cuaa0  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on secure
 > I indeed get a login prompt, and I'm all set.
 > I know that one device is for initiating outgoing connections, and
 > the other for incoming connections, but I don't understand why the
 > lines provided in a stock install seem to have the sense reversed...

It's because the Palm's serial port only runs 3 wires, and doesn't
provided a DCD signal.  Opens on ttyd0 block until DCD is asserted,
so you're screwed if you're on a Palm :-)  Opens on cuaa0 succeed
straight away if the device is idle.

    - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton@internode.com.au (W)