Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 10:21:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: siguing into current from a random version

Some time yesterday I opined:
% Perforce has a source code control system that purports to be equivalent
% to CVS, but with atomic locking.  Last I checked, they were very proud
% of the fact that their system runs on FreeBSD, and are giving away 2-
% user systems for FreeBSD.

J Wunsch cleverly replied:
> And, some people might
> also have ``political'' arguments against making an entire free
> software effort depending from a commercial product (though i think
> this was the minor problem).

Ah, a good point.  In typical engineering fashion, I did not pause to
consider the political ramifications of such a move.  I've used CVS
extensively both at home and during my "day job," and have been
generally pleased with it.  I know enough about RCS files, and now
about CVS uses (and abuses) of them, when something goes wrong, I can
go hack the RCS files and fix the problem.

For instance, on a project I was working on 6 weeks ago, the manager
was "cleaning" a branch tree that we had to deliver to the customer as
a part of our support contract.  He inadvertantly removed the source
for a tool from the branch tree that we really needed to deliver, and
commited this change without checking with us to see if it was needed.
I edited the RCS files for the two source files and replaced them on
the branch.

I fear that most commercial tools, which typically do *not* store their
data in easily readable, and modifiable, text files, would not make
this quite so easy.  At my current day job, Visual Source Safe has been
purchased, but I am going to grab the Perforce demo and install it on
the two engineering servers, one NT and one SunOS.  I'll change their
minds yet.  (Can't use CVS, since we have Mac, WinNT, and Win95
development systems.  I've not heard of a CVS client for Mac...)