Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:17:23 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        bmah@freebsd.org
Subject:   if_bridge and IPv6?

--=-ASgMNpDrq/eLAwSZhbqM

Hi folks--

Can anyone tell me if I should be able to run IPv6 over an if_bridge
interface?

I'm running RELENG_6 from a few days ago on a Soekris net4801 and have
created a bridge0 interface with two of the physical network interfaces
(sis0 and sis1) as members.

IPv4 seems to work fine over this; I can assign an IPv4 address to
bridge0 and everything seems normal.  If I assign an IPv6 address to the
interface, no IPv6 packets seem to go in or out, and ping6-ing a machine
on the same subnet yields:

hornet# ping6 other_address
PING6(56=3D40+8+8 nbytes) (net4801_address) --> (other_address)
_storelladdr: something odd happens
ping6: sendmsg: Invalid argument
ping6: wrote tomcat.kitchenlab.org 16 chars, ret=3D-1
nd6_storelladdr: something odd happens

Note that the output above is slightly mangled; I wonder if this has to
do with some buffer related to the net4801's serial console being
overrun.  Anyways.

tcpdump-ing in various places shows that ICMPv6 neighbor solicitation
packets aren't leaving the net4801.  If I try to ping the net4801 from
other machines on the subnet, I can see *their* neighbor solicitation
packets arrive at the net4801 with tcpdump, but it never (as far as I
can tell) sends a response.

I wonder if this has to do with IPv6 ND packets being sent as multicast,
but that's just a guess.  Googling showed that at least on NetBSD 1.6,
this didn't work, but I wasn't able to find anything immediately
applicable to FreeBSD 6.0-BETA3.  :-)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bruce.