Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 18:25:56 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

> 	It's time we had FreeBSD Annual Election Of Officials.

Look, Julian, I'm sure you mean well but honestly, all of this looks
suspiciously like an artificial system constructed for the benefit of
those members of FreeBSD's user base who would like to be able to
steer the wagon without ever having to feed the horse.

The people who "drive" FreeBSD, autocratically or otherwise, are the
ones who put the actual work into making it move.  This is a system of
leadership by example, and if people like what a given person (or set
of persons) are doing with the project then they follow them and that
person or persons are now, for all intents and purposes, "the leaders."
If one of them should falter or slow down to the point where nobody's
following them then they're no longer leading and you don't need an
election to tell you what common sense should have already dictated.
You go find somebody else people seem to respect, push them to the
front and say "here, you do it now."

If somebody more "presidential" than I should come along and clearly
demonstrates that he or she can and does want to do a better job,
heck, it's theirs.  I'll blissfully go back to having hacking code be
my sole worry in life.  But award the post by merit, not by picking
the candidate who's demonstrated the greatest skill at electioneering.
Assuming that the electorate is smart enough to elect the best man is
how people like Ronald Reagan come to power.

Don't also mix up what the FreeBSD "officers" do and what an
individual committer (who may or may not also be an officer) might run
off and do without reasonable notification.  ANY of the people with
commit privileges has the power to create something like the recent
tcl contraversy, and most of the older committers have in fact each
gotten their fingers burned at least once.  There is an entirely
separate type of self-discipline required and has nothing to do with
elections or management structure.

					Jordan