Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:53:54 +1000
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@e-easy.com.au>
To:        "'Ken Smith'" <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: HEADS UP [Re: Insta-panic with recent -current on Ultra10]

Yeah, I remember seeing the commit for this. Simply forgot to engage
brain and either install the loader prior to rebooting on the new
kernel, or turning DMA off.

> You can get around this by stopping the loader before it boots the
> kernel (where it's typically counting down from 10), and do this:
>
> 	set hw.ata.ata_dma=0
> 	boot
>
> That will let the new kernel boot.  And then you can go ahead with the
> installworld.  The current version of the loader will be installed
> then, and this step shouldn't be necessary any more.

This did the trick. Had I bothered to think things through, I would
have come to this conclusion. That's what I get for trying to wrap
things up early on a Friday :-)

> Scott was able to locate the problem that makes this necessary
> yesterday.
> It turned out to be something in the new ATA code after all and not
> what he had originally thought.  He sent the report of what's
> happening to Soeren, but it definitely won't be fixed by BETA2 which
> is building now...

Cool. Thanks for the explanation.

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
E-Easy
Tel: +61 3 6334 9995  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.e-easy.com.au