Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 02:03:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au
Subject:   Bounced mail (was Unexpected behaviour from pdksh.)

> > > <<< 550 <brian@Awfulhak.org>... we do not relay jwd@unx.sas.com
> > > 550 <brian@Awfulhak.org>... User unknown
> >
> > You are trying to send mail via a system that doesn't want to do it
> > for you.  You've left out the name of the system in the message above,
> > but I'd recommend that you stop trying to use it.
>
> Actually, no.  This is attepting to deliver to the destination system,
> and if you look at the transcript, it tells you who the system is.
>
> The rejection comes from the *target* system.  This is a problem with
> the current anti-relaying sendmail rules - I am having inordinate
> difficulty delivering mail from my dialup here in japan due to this.

I experienced similar problems using sendmail via a dialup connection,
so I defined SMART_HOST in sendmail.mc to cause all non-local mail
to relay through my ISP mail host.  I am no mail expert, but I
reasoned that the target mail host is doing a reverse name lookup
to verify the sender, and when this check fails the mail is bounced.
With the mail relaying through my ISP mail host, the remote sendmail
is happy.

BTW, I have never had mail bounce from the mail host(s) at freebsd.org
due to this.  However, nearly everything sent elsewhere bounces
when not relayed through my ISP mail host.  Is freebsd.org's leniency
due to the number of messages sent from hosts like root@myname.my.domain
that would bounce otherwise?

--
  Allen Campbell