Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:55:47 +0200
From:      Raymond Wiker <Raymond.Wiker@fast.no>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: memory + apache

Dan writes:

 > I will give it a try.
 > touch /var/account/acct
 > accton
 >
 > how long does it take for anything to get written to that file?
 >
 > As far as fork storms, I did noticed 1. I had the junior admin write
 > a script to restart apache if LA got to high ....doing a truss on the pid
 > i did noticed mad processes and his perl script hitting 10% cpu at times.
 > Looking at it it was just a basic infinite while loop checking `uptime`.
 > I have taken that script off but I don;t think that is what is causing
 > this swap issue.

	Depending on the exact way that uptime was called, this is
quite likely to breed zombie processes (you may need to explicitly
call wait or waitpid to reap the processes.) The zombies may or may
not be contributing to the swap problems, but they would definitely
fill up your process table.

	Disclaimer: Perl may have changed in this regard during the
last few years, but I was bitten by exactly this behaviour some years
back. Oh, the embarassment of writing a system sanity check that
brings the machine down ;-)

 > Checking the hardware as well I have confirmed that the manufacter
 > for these machines only included a heat sink and this tiny fan not
 > big enough for these boxes....so cooling of the chip may be an
 > issue as well.....gonna have to check over a bunch of things next
 > couple days.

	//Raymond.

--
Raymond Wiker