Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 1999 23:45:13 -0500
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /nonexistent vs. /sbin/nologin

Hey all...

I was fiddling trying to set up a new user name for samba (per an
instructional PDF which was posted a while back.. worked GREAT, btw).  They
mention that the generic samba user (for "public" access) should be set up
so as to not permit logins.  In order to change the login, I figured that
vipw would be the best way. When i went into vipw though, I noticed that
both "/nonexistent" and "/sbin/nologin" exist.  What is the difference
between those? And also, which is considered more secure?

Thanks in advance,

--John