Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 11:02:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>, robert@cyrus.watson.org, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible problem with ftpd 6.00

<<On Thu, 04 Dec 1997 02:48:08 -0800, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> said:

> Which would break the heck out of many traditional FTP clients which
> expect every user, be it a legit one or an anonymous one, will result
> in a password being requested by the ftpd and they'll probably fail

Only if they were written by idiots and within the past ten years.
Old TOPS-20 systems never required a password for anonymous access, if
I remember aright.  (Of course, ITS and WAITS would talk to you
without logging in.)  An FTP client should be prepared to accept
either a 331 ``Send password'' or a 230 ``Login OK'' response after
sending any username.

-GAWollman