Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2012 10:11:29 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        "'Matthew Seaman'" <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: [ANN] host-setup 4.0 released

SLAAC
> (StateLess Address Autoconfiguration: RFC 4862, rtsold(8), rtadvd(8)). So=
 an
> arbitrarily invented address should have that bit set to zero.  Bit 71 is=
 also special,
> indicating manycast vs unicast, and should also be zero for the vast majo=
rity of
> uses.
> See
> http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/articles/hotchpotch.html#rand-aaaa.pl
> for some perl code that operates in this area.
>=20
> Also of interest: RFC 5156 which lists IPv6 address ranges dedicated to s=
pecial
> purpose usages, and RFC 4193 which roughly is the IPv6 equivalent to RFC =
1918,
> but somewhat more complicated.  You might find
> https://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/ula/ relevant too, although actually usin=
g that
> as a registry is pretty pointless.
>=20

Thank you ALL for such great feedback.

We'll have to digest this information in entirety and also start playing wi=
th rtsold and rtadvd in the lab.

When we do add IPv6 support, it will be robust and solid (we don't like to =
do things half-arsed).

It might be awhile before host-setup supports IPv6 (only because we're not =
using it ourselves, just yet), but it does sound like something that is rat=
her desired.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.