Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:29:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      "B. Scott Michel" <scottm@CS.UCLA.EDU>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org>, Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd TCP glitches in new currents

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> On Dec 12, 1999 at 11:37:42AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> I had a Netgear FS509 switch here that would eat packets transmitted
> through the GigE port under certain conditions.  Netgear shipped me
> a new one, and I've been happy with it, until the same problem started
> happening again this morning.

There's some oddities in the 3.3 and 3.4 kernels as well -- I've actually
nailed down the plexicity and speed on both the Accellar and my humble PC,
and yet, I'm looking at weird TCP lockups from time to time.

Mostly seems to be related to NFSv3, but will also happen when doing
cvsup. There's no magic number of how many bytes are queued waiting to go
out the interface. And it seems to be limited to specific connections,
i.e. an NFS TCP connection can be jammed and yet I can be happily talking
to cvsup3 doing an update.

The interface in question is a NetGear:

pn0: <82c169 PNIC 10/100BaseTX> rev 0x20 int a irq 11 on pci0.9.0

What is odd is that the output error metric from netstat -in monotonically
increases.

Yes, I could post my configuration, etc., and I could go back to running
-current, but I have a PhD to make progress on. And I'm willing to wait to
try out the consolidated 2x040/PNIC driver when 4.0 finally rolls out.

-scooter