Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:15:00 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        Bryan Venteicher <bryanv@daemoninthecloset.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] Paravirtualized KVM clock

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

On 2015-Jan-04 11:56:14 -0600, Bryan Venteicher <bryanv@daemoninthecloset.o=
rg> wrote:
>For the last few weeks, I've been working on adding support for KVM clock
>in the projects/paravirt branch. Currently, a KVM VM guest will end up
>selecting either the HPET or ACPI as the timecounter source. Unfortunately,
>this is very costly since every timecounter fetch causes a VM exit. KVM
>clock allows the guest to use the TSC instead; it is very similar to the
>existing Xen timer.

A somewhat late response but have you looked at
https://github.com/blitz/freebsd/commit/cdc5f872b3e48cc0dda031fc7d6bdedc65c=
3148f
I've been running this[*] on a Google Compute Engine instance for about 6
months without problems.

[*] I had to patch out the test for KVM_FEATURE_CLOCKSOURCE_STABLE_BIT but
    I think that's a GCE issue.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn