Date:      Fri, 8 May 2015 22:59:52 +0000
From:      "ian (Ian Lepore)" <phabric-noreply@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Differential] [Commented On] D2340: Support for Alpine platform from Annapurna Labs

ian added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS
  sys/arm/annapurna/alpine/alpine_machdep.c:144 I agree, this is copied from the bad old way of doing things.  Please use any of the armv6 platforms except mv as an example of the modern way.
  sys/arm/annapurna/alpine/alpine_machdep_mp.c:106 the number of cores should also be limited by the hw.ncpu tunable so that you can control it from loader(8).
  sys/arm/annapurna/alpine/alpine_machdep_mp.c:214 Unless this platform has mapping control registers that allow repositioning the window for accessing hardware regs, none of these bus_space_map() calls should be using fdt_immr_pa, they should just be using the physical addresses from the fdt data.

  As far as I know, only Marvel chips have such a feature (and maybe not even all of them).  fdt_immr_pa should never appear outside of arm/mv (and some polution where it leaks out into dev/fdt that we really need to fix).
  sys/arm/annapurna/alpine/alpine_machdep_mp.c:263 Why do we even do a SEV here?  I have the feeling this has been pasted into every soc mp file and doesn't do anything useful on any of them.
  sys/arm/conf/ALPINE:50 Now it should just use std.armv6.
  sys/boot/fdt/dts/arm/annapurna-alpine.dts:2 We do whatever we need to, to operate with the published dts source.  Sometimes it's painful.

  The old platforms are slowly being retrofitted to use the published source, and all new platforms for the past year or so have been using the source in sys/gnu.  If source for this platform isn't in sys/gnu yet we can import it.

REVISION DETAIL
  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D2340

EMAIL PREFERENCES
  https://reviews.freebsd.org/settings/panel/emailpreferences/