Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2006 21:07:55 +1000
From:      Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org>
To:        RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
Cc:        Jon Falconer <jfalconer@puc.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: difference between deinstall and pkg_delete?

RW wrote:
> On Friday 02 June 2006 08:53, Mikhail Goriachev wrote:
>> Jon Falconer wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I see in the man page for ports the following:
>>>
>>>      reinstall        Use this to restore a port after using
>>> pkg_delete(1) when you should have used deinstall.
>>>
>>> So I'm wondering what is the difference between pkg_delete and using
>>> "make deinstall" from within the ports directory? What does "make
>>> deinstall" do that pkg_delete does not do? What does pkg_delete do that
>>> "make deinstall" does not do?
>> Hi,
>>
>> This will point you in the right direction:
>>
>> http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-29467.html
>
> Actually I think that points in wrong direction. There is a lot of
> misinformation about this that is repeated ad-nauseum.
>
> Most ports use the standard deinstall target which calls pkg_delete; there is
> only one port in the whole tree that defines it own deinstall target, and
> that one installs its own versions of the pkg_* utilities.
>
> The port system uses a series of cookie files to keep track of what has been
> done. For example if you type "make && make" the port will only build once,
> because the first make sets the "build cookie". There is also an Install
> cookie which leads to a problem when you go through the sequence
>
>     make install
>     pkg_delete
>     make install
>
> because pkg_delete doesn't know about the port cookies. The deinstall and
> reinstall targets both delete the cookie and so using one or the other avoids
> the problem.
>
> In practice this is virtually a non-issue since most people, and all build
> tools, will do a make clean at some point in the sequence.

Right, so pkg_deinstall is the way to go then, isn't? Logically, there
is a difference between pkg_delete and pkg_deinstall. Personally, I use
the latter.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg@webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B