Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:49:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Bootsrapa Limanond <b0l6604@agen.tamu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch and re-build

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Bootsrapa Limanond wrote:

> I would like to apply a patch to a source tree and rebuild a port.
> The patch is only for a file in the source tree. What I did was I
> applied the patch, using `patch' command and ran `make'. It looked like
> `make' removed my source tree, created a new one based on the .tar.gz
> file in the `distfiles' directory, and spent a couple of hours building
> the `old' port from scratch.
>
> Does `make' always unpack the `.tar.gz' file every time? Is there a way
> around this? Better yet, what is a correct way to build from a patched
> source tree?

No, the ports system will preserve the work/ directory, unless the dot
files in work (.install_done, .build_done, etc.) are missing, in which
case the Makefile may clean up.

If you're going to modify ports by hand, do 'make patch' to extract and
patch the portinitially, then apply your changes, then do 'make build'
and/or 'make install'.

Doug White