Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:52:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        <SimsS@ibm.net>
Cc:        "Hackers" <Hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building PAO kernel on non-PAO system

> I've got an old laptop that I'd like to run Our Favorite OS(tm) on, but it
> **definitely** requires the PAO package to sort out some laptop-esque
> "features" that Compaq decided to implement.  I've got 2.1.6 loaded on the
> laptop right now (with PAO) and it works pretty well....  (Thanks,
> Hosokawa-san!)

You could install 2.2 on it and it would *probably* work.

> My desktop machine is a P5 with gobs of RAM and disk (running
> [pretty]-current, FWIW) and it occurs to me that one approach might be to
> build the PAO-enabled 2.1.6 kernel on the desktop and just NFS it back to the
> laptop (thereby saving tons o' time).

One of the reasons the PAO code isn't in the FreeBSD source tree is
because it affects 'desktop' functionality.  I would caution against
applying the PAO patches to the -current box.

Have you tried making a kernel with -current and seeing it it works?
The PAO patches add support for some new ethernet cards, SCSI cards, and
the Wavelan, plus make some things easier but other than that it's
pretty much the same functionality as in 2.2 and -current (modulo they
actually *document* things better. :( )

Nate