Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 06:06:27 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI low level format, good or bad

Karl Denninger writes:

> I've seen a non-trivial number of disks come off the factory line with
> non-optimal formats.  I don't know if its a temperature tolerance thing or
> what, but this has been my experience.

What do you consider a non-optimal format?

Does Adaptec's low level format mess with the SCSI mode pages? If so,
reformatting might "optimize" the disk. I've observed the default for
WCE and other options varies according to where the disk came from, not
by manufacturer.

I stick by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" reasoning. There is no
telling exactly how they format the drive at the factory. No telling
what additional hardware monitors are attached to the drive. You'll
notice most all drives have additional connectors and test points for
*something*.

In fact there is no telling exactly what happens when you "low level"
format the drive yourself. With any luck it will take the factory defect
list (not block list, but lowest level bit error position from index,
remember MFM and RLL disks?) as gospel and try to arrange blocks around
that.