Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2012 12:18:43 +0100
From:      "H. Ingow" <hingow@gmail.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   smartctl question

Hi all,

one single disk in a zfs mirror failed permanently throwing errors like
kernel: (ada5:ata10:0:0:0): ATA status: 51 (DRDY SERV ERR), error: 84
(ICRC ABRT ) and alike.

The pool itself continued working degraded, smartctl showed a very high
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count value, which to my knowledge may indicate a
broken cable, in this case indeed a  cable replacement  solved the
problem, the pool resilvered and all is fine.

Still smartctl -a displays a value of 199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count I reckon
to be way too high, though ( > 3900 ) .
So is this value now including errors from previous broken cable ?

In other words, when, if at all, is the cache smartmontools read from
flushed and values are to be taken as of the status after fixing a
hardware problem but not swapping the disk ?
Can someone please share some insight ?

thanks