Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:21:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>, "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>, Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>, drosih@rpi.edu, grog@lemis.com, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft performance (was: ...)

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, David E. Cross wrote:

> I think mutex is the way to go.  I am 100% for it, and I think now that this
> problem is getting a good deal of light we should start to do something about
> it.
>
> One of the problems with locks that doesn't seem to have been mentioned
> (although I am sure many have thought it) is deadlocks.  You get A waiting
> for B and b with A.  With mutexi (plural?) you would lock just the resource
> that you are curently working on, and you would be guaranteed to release it
> (if the programmers do it right, of course ;).  The advantage is with Mutex
> is that you don't need to be as omnipotent to use it.

Did you forget the fact that in order to remove a giant lock set up, so
that you go one step, or multiple steps, below that, the locks below the
giant lock must ALL be there, no mistakes or omissions allowed.

It's well worth doing, but it's not a deal like adding just one lock, no
sir!

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |