Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 23:50:11 -0500
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Solution Found: IdentD probs (WAS Re: ident, apache, named, and probably more...)

Hey all, just thought I'd share the solution...

After massive amounts of digging in the mail archives I found out the
answer was in freebsd-ports :)

Apparently my recent (2 days ago) buildworld caused the problems with
identd when changes to inetd became incorporated.  To quote an email from
Chris Piazza back on Sept 4, 1999:

<begin quote>
That's right.  Brian Feldman backported some changes from -current
that simplify getting user credentials from a socket.  This is one
side effect.

<quote from commit message to /etc/inetd.conf>
1.33.2.2 Sun Aug 29 13:15:39 1999 UTC by green
Branch: RELENG_3
The new pidentd now runs as root.
</quote>

<end quote>

Changed the line in /etc/inetd.conf to:
auth    stream  tcp     wait    root /usr/local/sbin/identd identd -w -t120

And all is happy again.

Thanks to everyone who helped!!!
--John