Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:43:06 +0800
From:      "Craig Beasland" <craig@hotmix.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: system crashing..

Hi,

I arrived last at this post, but in my limited experience, unexpected
system crashes like this are caused by overheating.  Either a dodgy
power unit or CPU fan.  Although as someone else mentioned it could be
RAM.

Cheers
craig

%
% I have had a server burning in for a week and 1/2.. However today I
did
% a "last" and saw that almost everyday there has been either a crash,
or
% a reboot.. there is currently nothing at all running on it and I
don't
% even have it plugged into the network. it also is hocked up to the
UPS
% so it can't be power. Anyone have any clues?
%
% Server Specs:
% AMD-K6 II 400
% 128 MB RAM
% Adaptec 2840U2W SCSI Controller
% 18.2 Gig Seagate Cheetah 10,000 RPM SCSI Drive
% 2 Drive Cooling Kits
% SOYO Motherboard
% Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 Net Card
%