Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 07:59:36 -0800
From:      David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: An ISP's Wishlist...

* As David Muir Sharnoff wrote:
*
* Just to pick this single one...
*
* > A port of 'ofiles' or 'lsof'
*
* I know that lsof does more (well, it's been in the ports once?!), but
* what's wrong with fstat(1)?

Absolutely nothing if one knows that it exists!

I've run into this one before: there's a command in a different
version of unix-like OS that has an equivelent, but it isn't
obvious.

truss/trace/ktrace.
lsof/ofiles/fstat.

I'm sure there are more.  An optional package of "pointer" commands
would be nice.  Has to be very careful never to install over something
that exists.

	/usr/local/bin/ofiles:
	#!/bin/sh
	echo The FreeBSD equivalent is fstat.

I'm not to bothered about it.  I suppose I should do a real RTFM
one of these days -- who knows what I might discover?

On the other hand, the other day I counted apporimately 1,700 unique
commands in the various bin directories.

-Dave