Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 1996 08:26:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mountd "request from non-local host"

When I boot our mail server it starts up fine, mountd is running
and things are OK.  I can nfs mount exported partitions.

I added something to /etc/exports,  killed mountd and restarted it
by hand.  It declines to start:

> hda# mountd
> hda# Feb  8 08:15:43 hda portmap[199]:
>   connect from 198.252.184.1 to unset(mountd): request from non-local host
> Feb  8 08:15:43 hda portmap[200]:
>   connect from 198.252.184.1 to set(mountd): request from non-local host
> Feb  8 08:15:43 hda mountd[198]: Can't register mount

I undoubtably have my network set up wrong.

198.252.184.1 is the address of the mail server "hda.hda.com" on the local
ethernet.

199.232.40.182 is the address of the mail server SLIP link from our provider,
and is what you get when you nslookup hda.com from the outside world.

The mail server hostname is set to hda.com.  It seems mountd expects
hda.hda.com to be doing the mount requests and not hda.com.

I don't want to reboot just to edit /etc/exports.

Is anyone willing to sanity check my named setup?  I hesitate to
send it to the entire list.  While we're at it I'd be thrilled if
mail to hda.hda.com (or foo.hda.com) would get sent to hda.com.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936