Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 18:07:47 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig wireless card options and DHCP

David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> probably said:
> Hmm... sounds as if I'm failing to express myself adequately; sorry.
> From my perspective, putting "site specific" stuff in a given (mobile)
> machine's /etc/*.local is what I would call "hard coding", and is a
> problem to avoid.

> For example, I normally use my laptop both at home and at work; in both
> cases, I normally use the an0 interface.

I use my laptop in various places with various wired and wireless
configurations.

I use rc.conf.local not as a "hardcoded" file (rc.conf is my hardcoded
file), but as a place to put changable configurations. I select which
configuration I wish to use with a small script.

> However, there certainly exist differences between those
> environments, and I am averse to trying to use an approach that
> requires that I "tweak" something in a file system ini order to
> allow the machine to join the network.

I set up configrations and simply select which one (or ones, I can
be using multiple interfaces at a time).

> But I believe that setting things up as dhclient is, where there can be
> an (optional) "hooks" script would be a good way to handle both
> approaches,

As I said, I use rc.conf.local as a "hooks" script. I don't see the
requirement for a seperate one, but it is certainly easy to provide
one as you have shown. I'd suggest making the path of the script
an rc.conf variable, though.

> :-}  But you need a way to select which, yes?  And an opportunity to do
> so....

I don't want something to try various configs on it's own. ssids
always go out in the clear, even with WEP on, and I don't wish to
broadcast ssids that may be closed, private and not belong to me. I
want the interface to come up quickly. I have a _lot_ of different
configurations which would take time to go through.

I choose which config I want to use manually with a small script (I
called 'ether') for wired ethernet or wireless - I know better what
location I'm in than the laptop does and there may be several
different reachable configurations in a given area (such as at USENIX
where there were private base stations with no link to the world that
were open and closer to my laptop than the real USENIX provided base
stations which had a link to the world - I had to force the ssid to
get a legitimate connection).

When I go home I unsuspend and type 'ether -link1' and it is cleared
back to the default for home. I type 'ether -link1 tab' it configures
wireless settings for my building at work, etc, etc. This is what
I meant before.

> Well, I've used (essentially) the same Perl script (which I stuffed in
> /usr/local/sbin) through 3 iterations of invocation:

I've been through similar thought processes. With PAO's pccard_ether
scripts I actually found a lot of things easier until recently, so I'd
been maintaining my own script bases on PAO and with more recent
improvements from 4.*'s pccard_ether merged in. I'm tired of doing
that.

Called from any method of bringing an interface up after boot time
(ppp, pccard_ether, etc. the only one I haven't done this for yet is
usb ether, since I don't have any) I have another script I've also
been using for the last few years to do the scattering of things
I do after an interface changes status.

>   But I was informed that /etc/pccard_ether was viewed as a hack, and
>   that there was a desire to make it Go Away.

Something has to configure the interfaces - something has to be run
when an interface appears - I doubt pccard_ether is going anywhere
anytime soon.

In the meantime my small changes mean that people who wish to hardcode
a few simple settings can do so without changing pccard.conf (and
restarting pccardd), without changing the existing pccard_ether and
without creating lots of /etc/*if* files. It also gives a place to add
location dependant configurations where you can easily change chunks
of configuration with very simple external scripts.

>   And (as you noted), there needs to be a separate such file (even it's
>   only a single line long) for each possible interface instantiation,
>   which is pretty unaesthetic, to put it kindly.

Quite.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu