Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:40:38 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Lorenzo Cavassa <Lorenzo.Cavassa@ALPcom.IT>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabit ethernet support?

"Matthew N. Dodd" wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Lorenzo Cavassa wrote:
> > i need some advices about an ( eventually ) gigabit ethernet support in
> > FreeBSD 3.x-RELEASE or 3.x-CURRENT: NICs, drivers and so on ( also
> > case-studies and/or performance tests ).
>
> You've got some choice at this point though 1 option is probably a little
> unattractive.
>
> Packet Engines GNIC/GNICII devices.
>         - Single source (PacketEngines; http://www.packetengines.com/)
>         - no driver in any FreeBSD source tree.
>         - 2.2 drivers at ftp://ftp.scl.ameslab.gov/pub/drivers/
>         - Webpage at http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/Gigabit/

I'll be providing a supported 3.x driver for the PE cards as soon as I
can get my hands on some, and get my head wrapped around GE driver
code.  It turns out Packet Engines is now a part of my company. Plus, I
need some for GigE testing here at work.  Now that we're all one big
happy family I should be able to transfer a few over here in the next
month or so.  They won't make it in time for 3.2, but I hope to have
something working for 3.3.