Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:35:17 +0100
From:      Thomas Stratmann <thomas.stratmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   irc problem

Hi everyone,

when I start irc (no matter what arguments), I get

opening stream socket: protocol not supported

I did ktrace on it and found exactly the same (which shows that FBSD
error reporting is much much better than it can ever be in Windows):
the call to socket() gave the error code to the above error. The first
param to socket() was 0x1F, I looked up what it meant: according to
socket(2), it is the specification of the communication domain (whatever
that means), the value 31 should be
PF_XPT or pseudo_AF_XPT, which has something to do with the BPF (Berkley
Packet Filter, I suppose), according to /usr/include/sys/socket.h. So I
included
pseudo-device bpf
in my kernel but it doesn't help. (Honestly, I don't know at all what
I'm doing here, I'm just experimenting)

Somebody more into the materia than me? Possibly even some help arising?
;-)

Cheers
Thomas Stratmann