Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:04:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Staskiewicz <stask@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install can't find modem..help

I hope you can help. (Using PAO 2.2.8-Release)

I'm new to Unix and FreeBSD.  I have a Toshiba (notebook) Satellite
T1910 486sx, 20 meg RAM. DOS "msd" says I have 2 com ports.  Com1 IRQ4
0x3f8 and Com2 IRQ3 0x2f8.

When installing FreeBSD boot disk so I could download FTP, I chose the
serial port sio0 irq4 0x3f8 and sio1 irq3 0x2f8. The process next
shows...

sio0: at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550 (but mine is a 8250!)
sio1: configured irq3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: not found at 0x2f8

Then, the initialize PC-Card controller...comes back with "found 1
PC-Card slot(s)" followed by "slot0: Card MEGAHERTZ(XJ1144) Assigned
to sio2 driver"

It seems my hardward only has 2 com ports and my modem will only work
on com2.  Before buying the modem I tried an external one and it
didn't work due to the slow uart on com1 so I got the Megahertz PC
card modem.  Anyway, my modem is on Com2 (sio1) but sio1 is not found
as noted above.  Then the card modem *is* found correctly, but is
assigned to sio2 (com3, which I don't have).

So, the Alt-F3 process to get to PPP doesn't work.  I am trying to
connect to my ISP.

Can you enlighten me?  Am I doing anything wrong?  I've  read the
newsgroup and mailing list archives.  Lots of
similar problems (not PAO) but no answer that I can find.

Also, would one of those fixit disk images help to reset the install
to what I need?

Thank you.

Mike S.