Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 19:52:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, kimc@kim.net, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for RIVA 128 - Diamond Viper 330

Nice and dandy, but AGP requires kernel support. I don't think Xfree is
going to be a big help in that matter :)

The problem with AGP is that the programming specs are available under NDA
only. That's the real bummer. If you program the RIVA correctly you can
support the DAC and access the video display memory, but you won't get the
main benefit of 528MB/sec access to main system memory, which is the whole
point of the new bus. Many large 3D textures take up more space than is
available from the video buffer. The buffer is to be used for holding
pixel values, and the main system memory used for caching and computing.
The latter part is what makes the RIVA worth using.

Hopefully I am wrong, but I have yet to hear anything edgewise.

Regards,
Kevin