Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:08:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Document Copyrights/Credit Messages

Following up: I'm using the FDP toolset for some original internal
documentation.  After Mr. Swearingen's input, here's what looked
reasonable to me:

My original document's book.sgml has its copyright as normal.  Then
there's this:

---
<legalnotice>
  <para>PostScript, PDF, and HTML formatting for this document has
    been generated with the FreeBSD Documenttation Project toolset
    to which the following copyright and legal notices
    apply:</para>
</legalnotice>

<legalnotice>
  <para>Copyright &copy; 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001,
    2002 The FreeBSD Documentation Project</para>
</legalnotice>

&bookinfo.legalnotice;
---

The FDP copyright isn't in <copyright> tags because that lists it at the
top of the page along with the document copyright, and ISTR it's in a
second <legalnotice> just to generate more of a break from the paragraph
above it.  (I think it should all be in one <legalnotice>, but nsgmls -s
choked on &book.info.legalnotice being inside another <legalnotice>.  I
will probably retype the &bookinfo.legalnotice; to put it all together.)

The abstract page comes out with the title, author, copyright, and
abstract.  Then this credit/copyright statement is shown farther down
the page.

I think this covers the bases, or at least it's a start.