Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 22:32:02 -0500
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: workman-atapi port - should I reupload it?

J Wunsch:
 |As Randall Hopper wrote:
 |>      In 2.1 there was a workman-atapi port that worked & continues to work
 |> great for me (I'm on 2.2-ALPHA now).
 |
 |Curious: why is there a separate ATAPI port required?  The preferred
 |API for handling CD requests in FreeBSD is using the ioctl interface
 |(CDIO*).  They are supposed to be device-independant, and leave all
 |the work to the respective device drivers.
 |
 |Since workman isn't setuid root (which would IMHO be required to issue
 |direct SCSI commands), i assume it's using that API.

     I just re-checked the current workman port (workman-1.3.tgz in
packages-current) to verify nothing's changed:

    > ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/workman
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  98304 Dec 18 15:14 /usr/X11R6/bin/workman*

    > strings /usr/X11R6/bin/workman | grep ^/dev
    /dev/rcd0c

    > workman
    Warning: /var/run/workman.pid: Permission denied
    As root, please run

    chmod 666 /dev/rcd0c

    to give yourself permission to access the CD-ROM device.

Still SCSI-specific, not setuid root, but needs access to the CD device.

     In my workman built from the workman-atapi port:

    > strings /opt/pkg/workman/bin/workman | grep ^/dev
    /dev/rwcd0c

and I have it setuid root for that reason.

Randall