Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2017 15:27:27 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Julien Cigar <julien@perdition.city>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vfs.numvnodes constantly growing

On 05/01/2017 01:43, Julien Cigar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've upgraded a bunch of Proliant DL160 Gen8 machines from 10.0-RELEASE
> to 10.3-RELEASE-p15. They have 64GB of RAM, running UFS, jails, and
> have some NFS mounts:
> https://gist.github.com/silenius/4a3005684b998e648ea93c72c3dc7714
>
> I'm observing a constant increase (~5/sec) of vfs.numvnodes, getting
> closer to kern.maxvnodes:
>
> jcigar@orval:~/ > sysctl -a|grep -i 'vnodes'|sort
> kern.maxvnodes: 1165332
> kern.minvnodes: 291333
> vfs.freevnodes: 289726
> vfs.numvnodes: 1008361
> vfs.vnodes_created: 98017296
> vfs.wantfreevnodes: 291333
>
> any idea what could be the cause of this ?

A system that is running. ;)

 From man vnode -
There is a unique vnode allocated for each active file, each current
directory, each mounted-on file, text file, and the root.

So higher vnode counts means a busier machine, more open files...
constant growth without any drop could be failure to close files.

fstat will list open files. so you can find what process has the most open.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler