Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 15:59:24 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, murray@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for minor KVM adjustments for the release

>    There are two things I would like to commit for the release:
>
>	- I would like to cap the SWAPMETA zone reservation to 70MB,
>	  which allows us to manage a maximum of 29GB worth of swapped
>	  out data.
>
>	  This is plenty and saves us 94MB of KVM which is roughly
>	  equivalent to 30,000 nmbclusters/mbufs.

   It's seems really hard to justify even that much SWAPMETA. A more
reasonable amount would be more like 20MB.

>	- I would like to cap the size of the buffer cache at 200MB,
>	  giving us another 70MB or so of KVM which is equivalent to
>	  another 30,000 or so nmbclusters.

   That also seems like overkill for the vast majority of systems.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.