Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:49:42 +0200
From:      Ian FREISLICH <if@hetzner.co.za>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic during boot (in_arpinput).

Robert Watson wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Ian FREISLICH wrote:
>
> > Ian FREISLICH wrote:
> >>
> >> I have 2 servers each with 255 vlan interfaces and carp interfaces
> >> in each vlan.During the boot up while it's configuring the
> >> interfaces, it reliably panics.  It boots fine if no network cables
> >> are plugged in (and in the test evironment on a quient lan).
> >>
> >> It's an SMP machine.  My guess (from the panic message below) is
> >> that an arp query arives on an interface it's in the middle of
> >> creating or something like that (highly unsophisticated debugging
> >> conjecture).
> >>
> >> In the mean time I'm going to try a UP kernel and see if that masks
> >> the problem.
> >
> > FWIW, a UP kernel has the same problem.
>
> What happens if you disable PREEMPTION on UP and try the same thing
> again?

Same thing.

If I don't assign the carp interfaces a vhid and pass at boot time,
it boots up OK, but I need the carp interfaces.  I can arrange
serial console access.  I have a similar system from ~"Tue Aug 29
09:47:50 SAST 2006" that works, but I suspect it may suffer the
same problem.  I'm about to test this.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich